1. He often works________ into the night, which moves us________.
A. deep; deep B. deeply; deeply C. deep; deeply D. deeply; deep
2. It was raining heavily. Little Mary felt cold, so she stood ________ to her mother.
A. close B. closely C. closed D. closing
3. He'd like to sleep with the window __________ at night.
A. open wide B. open widely C. wide open D. opened wide
4. When you drive home, you can't be __________ careful.
A. very B. too C. so D. only
5. In that case, there is nothing you can do ______ than wait.
A. more B. other C. better D. any
6. Such a problem is_________ difficult for a primary school student __________.
A. so; to work B. very too; to work out C. rather too; to work out D. quite too; to answer
7. I've got ___________work to do on a ___________ cold day.
A. much too； much too B. too much； too much C. too much； much too D. much too； too much
8. The boy was _________eager to get a geography book.
A. more B. too C. much D. far
9. ___________ to my regret, I am unable to accept your warm invitation.
A. Very B. Much C. Great D. A lot
10. There was no news; _________ , she did not give up hope.
A. moreover B. therefore C. but D. nevertheless
11. The guide told us that he would organize some business men abroad ________ next week.
A. some time B. sometime C. some times D. sometimes
12. --Is the bus stop far from here? -- It's a quarter's walk, __________.
A. more and more B. and so on C. all together D. more or less
13. Qingdao is _______________ beautiful city in summer.
A. most B. a most C. the most D. much
14. If we work with a strong will, we can overcome any difficulty, _______ great it is.
A. what B. how C. however D. whatever
15. Wei Hua told me that Wu Dong was _____________ ill.
A. terrible B. very terrible C. terribly D. too terrible
16. What a wonder! They've finished______30% of the task within one week.
A. no more than B. no less than C. not more than D. much less than
17. I must be fat---I can _____ do my trousers up.
A. hardly B. fairly C. nearly D. seldom
18. My parents will move back into town in a year or ______.
A.later B.after C.so D.about
19. -Have you been to New Zealand? -No, I'd like to, ________.
A. two B. though C. yet D. either
20. In recent years travel companies have succeeded in selling us the idea that the further we go, __________________.
A. our holiday will be better B. our holiday will be the better C. the better will our holiday be D. the better our holiday will be
21. I think your sister is old enough to know _________ to go alone on such a night.
A. other than B. more than C. rather than D. better than
22. "Have you replied to those letters?" "No, ________ time to do my other work yet."
A. I have had hardly B. I have hardly had C. I hardly have had D. Hardly I have had
23. Those young students were _______ tired, because they had been working for eight hours.
A. not a bit B. hardly C. not a little D. nearly
24. He knows little of maths, and ________ of chemistry.
A. no less B. even more C. still less D. still least
25. We have saved some money, but it's not __________ enough to buy a new house.
A. entirely B. nearly C. almost D. completely
26. The racers are ____ old people in their sixties.
A. most B. mostly C. almost D. at most
27. __________ of the Americans use their cars ___________ for their job.
A. Mostly; most B. Mostly; mostly C. Most; most D. Most; mostly
28. At the age of fourteen I had never even been on a train, ______________ an aircraft.
A. not so much B. not so little C. no more D. much less
29. -Mum, I think I'm ______to get back to school. -Not really, my dear. You'd better stay at home for another day or two.
A. too well B. so good C. well enough D. good enough
30. Bruce is a _________ good player, but John is a ________ bad one.
A. fairly; rather B. fairly; fairly C. rather; rather D. rather; fairly