下面这个相当活用的词:but, 我们知道它是一个转折词,表示“但是,然而”的意思,如:

Listen, Roger, I like you, but you’re just giving me too much, you know.

听着,罗杰,我喜欢你,但你有些过分了,知道吗?

Guangzhou is a beautiful city, but it’s too hot in the summer.

广州是个美丽的城市,但就是夏天太热了。

Tom was not there, but his brother was.

汤姆不在那儿,但他的哥哥在那儿。

We can but try.

我们也只能试一试。

He left but an hour ago.

他只不过一小时前才离去。

“but”用在下面这些场合非常适用,“but”放在句中,用作“除外”的意思,我们来看看:

I have nothing but money.

我除了钱,什么都没有。

Everybody but me got a raise during the New Year.

新年里,每人都涨了工资,就我没涨。

Nothing but disaster would come from such a plan.

这个计划只能招致灾祸,别无益处。

They’re all wrong but me.

除了我,他们都错了。

Who but Gloria would do such a thing?

除了格洛里以外,还有谁愿意做这事。