Mr. Johnson had a factory. He once 1（ABCD） on TV that animals could be taught to 2(ABCD ) some work for people if they were given 3(ABCD) to eat. He loved the idea.
He thought it would be 4(ABCD ) to have a dog look after his 5（ABCD） and an elephant do some heavy jobs 6（ABCD） his factory.
He bought a dog 7(ABCD) an elephant in the market and decided to teach them to do some work for him. Of course. he 8（ABCD） bought a lot of food for them.
Several months later，the dog and the elephant 9(ABCD) fatter and fatter，but they 10(ABCD ) do any work for him. At last，Mr. Johnson had to give up.
1. A. saw B. asked C. met
2. A. make B.do C. 1et
3. A. someone B.nothing C. something
4. A. bad B. good C. 1ate
5. A. house B. shirt C. eyes
6. A. in B. above C. under
7. A. but B. or C. and
8. A. also B. never C. yet
9. A. smelt B. sounded C. became
10. A. mustn’t B. couldn’t C. shouldn’t
Shirley Yeats is certainly a very brave woman! At the age of sixty-seven, she 1(ABCD) to take a trip round the coast（海岸） of Malaysia. Everything was fine 2 (ABCD)one day, as she was going back to her room on the 3(ABCD) , she saw smoke coming out of another room. She 4(ABCD) the captain from her room at once and told him about the fire. Then she went up on deck（甲板） to see 5(ABCD) she could do to help. The fire spread（蔓延） very quickly and soon 6(ABCD) was completely out of control. The captain decided to get all the passengers out as 7(ABCD) as possible.
1. A. stopped B. used C. had D. decided
2. A. since B. after C. until D. before
3. A. way B. ship C. land D. road
4. A. phoned B. told C. asked D. ordered
5. A. if B. how C. what D. where
6. A. she B. he C. that D. it
7. A. quickly B. much C. well D. usually