One day, seated in the ancestral hall, King Hui of Liang saw a man leading an ox pass by. He asked:

一天,梁惠王坐在庙堂上,看到堂下有一个人牵着一头牛走过,便问道:

"Where are you taking the ox?"

“你把牛牵到哪儿去啊?”

The man leading the ox stopped and answered:

牵牛的人停下来回答说:

"I am taking it to be slaughtered and will use its blood to paint the bell."

“我要把这头牛牵去杀掉,用它的血来涂钟。”

As King Hui heard this, he felt pity for the ox and said:

惠王听了,对牛十分怜悯,说:

"How can that be done? You are too cruel. Let it go at once. It is not guilty. How can you kill it? I cannot bear to see it panic-stricken, shedding tears and trembling before its death."

“那怎么行呢!你们太残忍了,赶快把牛放掉。它没有罪,怎么能把它杀掉呢?我不忍心看到牛临死前惊恐、流泪、战栗的样子。”

The man leading the ox asked:

牵牛的人问道:

"Do you mean that I shall let the ox go and not paint the bell? Is that it?"

“您的意思是要我把牛放了,不必再涂钟了,是吗?”

King Hui answered:

惠王回答说:

"What are you saying? How can you not paint the bell! Let the ox go, but use a sheep instead."

“你在说什么?钟怎么能不涂呢!把牛放了,就换只羊吧!”